Meet Dr. Thomas Wright, medical director of Laser Lipo and Vein Center. Dr. Wright is a board certified Phlebologist and cosmetic surgery specialist, with over 15 years of practicing experience. A graduate of the University of Missouri Columbia medical program, Dr. Wright was one of the first two hundred surgeons to become a diplomate in Phlebology. Dr. Wright is a leading expert in the field of Phlebology, presenting several scientific papers on new surgical techniques for treating venous insufficiency. Dr. Wright’s original research was recognized with honors from the American College of Phlebology.Dr. Wright has received numerous awards, including being voted by his peers as one of St. Louis’s TOP DOCS in 2009. Dr. Wright has received the Patients’ Choice Award multiple times, including in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. Additionally, he received the Compassionate Doctor Award in those same years. HeathTap recognized Dr. Wright with the Top Doctor Award and Top Phlebologist in 2013.
Dr. Wright is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, the American Society of Laser Medicine and Surgery, a member and top contributor of original research to the American College of Phlebology, and a member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. He is also a certified medical sonographer with credentials from the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
Dr. Wright’s research and interests focus on vein treatments, venous health, and minimally invasive body sculpting.
Awards and Honors
- 2022 Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open, PRS Global Open, Best Paper Award, 2022
- Fellow American College of Phlebology, 2017
- Abstract Award for “Serum Lidocaine Levels after Tumescent Anesthesia” 2012
- Patient’s Choice Award, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- AMA Physician Recognition Award 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Fellow of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, 2006
- Fellow of the American College of Physicians, 1995
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 1991
- UMC School of Medicine Research Day Competition, 2nd place, 1991
- Howard Hughes’ Medical Institute Research Scholar, 1990
- PSI CHI Psychology Honor Society, Duke University, 1986
- PSI Upsilon Academic Scholarship, 1983-1986
Work Address: 1630 Market Center Dr., O’Fallon, MO 63368, Suite 201
- 2022. A Case Series of Lymphatic Injuries After Suction Lipectomy in Women with Lipedema. Wright TF, Herbst KL. Am J Case Rep. 2022 Jul 11;23:e935016. doi: 10.12659/AJCR.935016. PMID: 35811389; PMCID: PMC9284075. https://amjcaserep.com/abstract/fig/idArt/935016/id/f1-amjcaserep-23-e935016
- A Young Woman with Excessive Fat in Lower Extremities Develops Disordered Eating and Is Subsequently Diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa, Lipedema, and Hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Wright TF, Herbst KL. Am J Case Rep. 2021 Jun 14;22:e930840. doi: 10.12659/AJCR.930840. PMID: 34121088. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8212839/
- 2021. Survey Outcomes of Lipedema Reduction Surgery in the United States. Herbst, Karen & Hansen, Emily & Salinas, Leopoldo & Wright, Thomas & Larson, Ethan & Schwartz, Jaime. Plastic and reconstructive surgery. Global open. 9. e3553. 10.1097/GOX.0000000000003553. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8078351/
- 2021. A 41-Year-Old Woman with Excessive Fat of the Lower Body Since Puberty with Progression to Swollen Ankles and Feet Despite Caloric Restriction, Due to Lipedema and Protein-Calorie Malnutrition: A Case of Stage 3 Lipedema. Wright TF, Herbst KL. Am J Case Rep. 2021;22:e930306. doi:10.12659/AJCR.930306.
- 2021. Standard of care for lipedema in the United States. Herbst KL, Kahn LA, Iker E, Ehrlich C, Wright T, McHutchison L, Schwartz J, Sleigh M, Donahue PM, Lisson KH, Faris T, Miller J, Lontok E, Schwartz MS, Dean SM, Bartholomew JR, Armour P, Correa-Perez M, Pennings N, Wallace EL, Larson E. Phlebology. 2021 May 28:2683555211015887. doi: 10.1177/02683555211015887. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34049453.
- 2021. A Young Woman with Excessive Fat in Lower Extremities Develops Disordered Eating and Is Subsequently Diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa, Lipedema, and Hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Wright TF, Herbst KL. American Journal of Case Reports. Am J Case Rep In Press. DOI: 10.12659/AJCR.930840.
- 2021. Dercum’s disease: estimating the prevalence of a rare painful loose connective tissue disease. Natalie Munguia, B Robert Mozayeni, Thomas F Wright, Karen L Herbst. Future Rare Diseases.
- 2019 Lidocaine safety after saphenous vein tumescent anesthesia. Wright, T. F., Brunetti, G. F., & Kennedy, P. Phlebology. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0268355519836834
- 2019 Lipedema: A Devastating Disease Too Often Overlooked . Wright, T. Vein Magazine. March 20, https://www.veindirectory.org/magazine/article/industry-spotlight/lipedema-a-devastating-disease-too-often-overlooked
- 2016 Introduction to Lipedema. Vein Magazine. January 28. p. 28-30https://www.veindirectory.org/magazine/article/education/introduction-to-lipedema
- Myers, P., Wright, T., Tanner,M and H. R. Adams. The effect of endotoxin on endothelium-derived relaxing factor and nitric oxide Production in cultured bovine aortic endothelial cells. Am. J. Physiol., 1992 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1558180 https://www.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajpheart.1992.262.3.H710?journalCode=ajpheart
- Myers PR1, Wright TF, Tanner MA, Ostlund RE Jr. Effects of native LDL and Oxidized LDL on Endothelium-Derived Relaxing Factor (EDRF) Bioactivity and Production of Nitric Oxide (NO) in Endothelial cells. J Lab Clin Med. 1994 Nov;124(5):672-83. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7964125
- Myers, P., T. Wright, J. Parker and P. Adams. Interactions of Tumor Necrosis Factor a (TNF), Interleukin 1-B (IL1), and Endotoxin: Effects On Endothelial Cells. American Heart Association, Circulation, 84: II-77, 1991
- Adams, R. T. Wright, J. Parker, Q. Zhong, and P. Myers. Impaired Endothelium-Dependent Relaxation of Vascular Smooth Muscle (VSM) by Endotoxin: In Vivo and In Vitro Evidence. American Heart Association, Circulation, 84: II-274, 1991
- Wright, T., P. Myers, and H. R. Adams. The Effects of Endotoxin on Endothelium-Derived Relaxing Factor and Nitric Oxide Production In Cultured Aortic Endothelial cells. Federation Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). Volume 5, Number 6, 1991
- Myers, P., M. Mattox, T. Wright, M. Tanner, D. DeFily, A. Jones, and J. Parker. Endothelium-Dependent Relaxation in Coronary and Collateral Arteries from Collarterized myocardium. FASEB, Vol. 5, No. 5, p. A1394, 1991
- Wright, T., W. Kovascs, n. Olson, and T. Pincus. “Androgens effect on thymus size, thymocyte function and thymocyte subpopulation Composition” presented at the Diabetes and Related Endocrine Disease Research Conference, 1988
- Residency, University of Alabama Hospital, 1993-1995
- Internship, University of Alabama Hospital, 1992-1993
- University of Missouri School of Medicine, MD Cum Laude, 1987-1992
- BS Psychology and BS Chemistry Double Major, Duke University, 1983-1986
- American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine, 2008
- Internal Medicine 1995, Recertified 2005, Recertified, 2015
- American Venous and Lymphatic Society – AVLS
- American Association of Cosmetic Surgery – AACS
- American Medical Association – AMA
- Missouri State Medical Association – MSMA
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery – ASLMS
- American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography – ARDMS
- 2019 – Effect of Weight Loss on Body Composition and Metabolic Function in Women with Lipedema. Fat Disorders Resource Society (FDRS) Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD
- 2018 – Lymph Sparing Liposuction Safety. Fat Disorders Resource Society (FDRS) Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX
- 2017 – Liposuction Shown to Improve Knee Function – Fat Disorders Resource Society, FDRS, Annual Meeting. Salt Lake City, UT
- 2016 – Interaction of Veins and Lymphatics with Lipedema. Fat Disorders Resource Society, FDRS Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO
- 2016 – The Pharmacokinetics and The Maximum Safe Lidocaine Dose for Endovenous Procedures. Wright, T., Kennedy, P. American College of Phlebology 30th Annual Congress, Anaheim, CA
- 2012 – Serum Lidocaine Levels after Tumescent Anesthesia. Wright, T., Kennedy, P American College of Phlebology 26th Annual Congress, Hollywood, FL
- 2011 – Endovenous Laser Ablation without Tumescent Anesthesia. Wright,T., Kennedy,P., Probst, P. American College of Phlebology 25th Annual Congress, Los Angeles, CA
- 2010 – Comparison of Pain and Discomfort Between 1470nm and 810nm Endovenous Lasers. Wright T., Kennedy, P, American College of Phlebology 24th Annual Congress, Orlando, FL
- 1991 – Meeting of Howard Hughes Medical Institute. “Identification and Characterization of Endothelium-Derived Relating Factor.” NIH. Bethesda, MD
- 1991 – University of Missouri Research Day. “The Role of Endothelium-Derived Relaxing Factor and Nitric oxide Production in Septic Shock.” Columbia, MO
- 1991 – FASEB. “The Effect on Endotoxin on Endothelium-Derived Relaxing Factor and Nitric Oxide Production in culture Endothelial Cells.” Atlanta, GA
- 1990 – Endothelium-Derived Relaxing Factor, national Teleconference. “Current Controversies Involving EDRF.” Columbia, MO
- 1989 – Diabetes and Related Endocrine Disease Research Conference.“Androgens effect on thymus size, thymocyte function and thymocyte subpopulation composition.” Nashville, TN
- 1988 – Student Research Day, University of Missouri. “Androgens effect on thymus size, thymocyte function and thymocyte subpopulation.” Columbia, MO
- Investigator studying the effect of the bioflavonoid Diosmin on Lipedema symptoms and quality of life in women with Lipedema.
- Investigator and principal enrollment site for a study with Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Nutrition on the effect of weight loss on body composition and metabolic function in women with Lipedema.
- Collaborating with Karen Herbst, PhD, MD on the Treatment Research and Education of Adipose Tissue, TREAT Study at the University of Arizona College of Medicine.
- 1991 Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Training Fellowship, “Identification and Characterization of Endothelium-Derived Relation Factors.”
- 1990 Bristol Myers/Squibb, “The Effects of Low Density Lipoprotein on the Production of Endothelium-Derived Relaxing Factor and Nitric Oxide Synthesis in Cultured Endothelium.”
- 1988 Diabetes Research Training Fellowship. “Endocrine Immune interaction: Androgens Effect on the T-Cell Function and Compositions.” Awarded by NIH
- St Joseph Hospital West (SSM)
- St Joseph Health Center (SSM)
- Barnes Jewish Hospital Saint Peters
- Progress West Hospital (BJC)